I used a to blog a fair bit "back in the day" when people still used Myspace. (I can hear all those teenyboppers saying, "Myspace, what's that?" ) With the popularity and ease of Facebook, who needs Myspace. A couple of things led to the demise of my former blogging career. First the popularity and ease of Facebook. There certainly isn't as much to blog about when you spend your whole day updating people on what is going on in your day. And my psycho crazy biological parents got a hold of my blogs and were using what I wrote as a way to condemn my entire life. I lost interest for a while and life got busy and I just let it go.
However, I'm back for a number of reasons. One, I have a lot I wish to record more or less for my sake but also because I enjoyed the feedback I used to get. I want to get back into my writing and what a better way to practice than to keep a blog. I can record the many hilarious antics and goings on of The Hughs House. And trust me with a three year old, a grumpy old man dog and a hubby who hasn't figured out that he's 30 yet, it gets pretty funny around here.
I also want to get into food blogging but don't have the time or resources to do that everyday. Wait, maybe I do. But that's beside the point. My love for baking and cooking is a big part of my life but there is more to me than that.
And while I don't really make New Years Resolutions, because lets face it, I'm a perfectionist and try to do everything as best I can.(not that I don't come up short) But, I really want to make my life as fulfilled as I can.
I feel like after three years of being a mother(to the best kid in the world, not even kidding) I am finally coming into my own as a mother. I am learning to loosen up, not sweat the small stuff and pick my battles. As a result, Avalon is getting the mother I wish she had had from the being but thankfully it has only taken me three years. (Of course I'll probably say the same thing in another three years).
So this year, in an attempt to make it fulfilling as possible I have decided I need to introduce/do these things this year.
1. Start a new blog and try to update at least twice a week. Yes I'm a stay at home mom but I am busier than I ever was at a job.
2. Start food blogging. I need an outlet for for all the baking and cooking I do. And I pledge to include pictures, so help me god. Who knows, I may even send you some. And those of you who got my "Christmas Cards" know I'm not even kidding.
3. I have golf clubs in my garage that my "honorary" mom(that's what we call each other) loaned me. This is the year I will take lessons. I love golf. I love to watch it. I love the players. I love the game. It's especially fun on the Playstation and the Wii. Also Jeff knows how and if I learned, maybe we could introduce it to Avalon and play as a family. And then Jeff and I would have a hobby together, because my attempts to woo him into baking and his attempts to woo me to motorcyle repair just aren't working. Maybe we'll start fresh.
4. Buy a new house. Yes this will involve Jeff as well but this is the year I put my foot down/quit quibbling and not making up my mind. Avalon will not go to school in this neighborhood. And, damn, I want a freaking kitchen bigger than my bathroom.
5. Introduce Avalon to new hobbies and crafts. I know she needs to be in dance. I know once she is used to the routine, the teacher, the other kids, it'll be okay. But that adjustment time can be a rough period, probably rougher on me. But she can be painfully shy in public and seems to have a bit of anxiety. (wonder where she gets that) She is proving to be very artistic and musical. So I want to take her to a local pottery place where you can buy a piece of pottery and paint it, they fire it and we get it back. (www.ingoodglazes.com) And start doing even more crafts that extend beyong the paint, playdoh and cutting and glue. I think in addition to dance she would really profit from some sort of music class. The girl has rhythm and is singing constantly especially to Classical Music. Mostly I need to get my butt in gear and if I am positive about it so she will be as well.
6. We will go on a big vacation this year. Big as in get on a plane go somewhere and stay for 5 days. None of the quick weekends to Chico(although they are super fun) Jeff and I have pledged to set aside the time and money and make it happen. Maybe the Oregon Coast again or Disneyland, maybe even Hawaii.
7. Continue on my weight loss journey. I've lost 33 lbs give or take a couple pounds. They have been hard earned as my metabolism is not too agreeable. But I've got a couple great doctors on my side and beleive it or not, I crave exercise so that helps.
8. I have started running but i still at my weight can be painful but as competitive as I am with myself, I would love to start racing albeit short races for now. At least one 5k by the end of the year. But hopefully another 20 pounds will help.
9. After watching Avalon fish this summer with her Grandpa Pat and Uncle Adam and seeing how much fun it was for her and bringing me back to my times as a kid fishing with my brother, I really want to get my license and take her fishing. Catch and release though. I like my fish already butchered(I can't believe I used to do that, yuck!).
10. Most importantly, I want to remember to not sweat the small stuff, remember that true family trumps all else and that peace only comes from within. I've got one pretty great hubby, the most awesome munckin and a damn good life. I just need to remember that and I'm golden.
Have a Happy New Year!