Saturday, July 23, 2011

Thoughts and other things

Avalon and I are headed to Great Falls, Tuesday and then Friday Jeff is coming up and we are all heading up to the cabin at Seeley. I'm looking forward to relaxing, swimming at the pool, seeing some friends and their munchkins. I'm excited for Avalon and I to have to girl time(yeah I know we have girl time every day right). But its nice, Joelene cooks dinner for us, no laundry, lax schedule and I'll read all those books I've been collecting..

Speaking of books, I'm getting my spanish texts out. I've got a work book I bought a while back. Thought I would freshen up my skills. A friend asked me for some help translating. Kinda reminded me that "yeah, I have those skills, don't want to lose em." I do use enough of it around Avalon that she has started saying a few things: gracias, vamos(lets go), adios, hola. So until, mi amiga has some more translating she needs done, I am gonna try to keep fresh.

But aside from the drive from Billings to Great Falls, I'm looking forward to this week. And it's not even that bad of a drive but I get nervous giong long distances with Avalon. I try not to think of what could happen and because I am nervous it makes me hyper aware but I still pack, major caffeine so falling asleep is not an issue. And thankfully she is a much better rider than when she was little. And I got a super safe ride so that helps.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a cheeseball. But Amy Winehouse's death struck a chord with me today. In the last 5 or 6 years, I kid you not, I think I have bought two CD's. Hers and Bruno Mars. You have to have one hell of a CD to get me to buy it.

I think she had an incredible talent and sadly like too many other people, addiction cost her so much. Granted we don't know what caused her death today but I'd venture to say that even if it weren't an overdose, it is related to her addiction in some way.

And if you haven't had to face addiction closeup, you may not realize that if affects more than just the user. It affects every body around them. It truly is a disease. I feel for her family. It took prison for my brother to confront his addiction. But his addiction left an exwife and son in the wake not to mention parents and siblings worried and concerned for him wanting to help but trying at the same time not to enable.

Its funny how those sort of things touch you. The only other time I remember a celebrity dying was August 31st 1997. The day Princess Diana died.

Speaking of deaths, a couple of things in the news lately have just made my faith in humanity that much less. The slaughter in norway of 82 people at the camp is shocking. How can one personhave that much hate? How can it take the police 90 minutes to show up? Sometimes I feel too naive to the ways of the world.

And because Great Falls is my hometown, I keep up with the news there as well as what Joelene tells me about what's going on. And the domestic/child abuse cases in the last year have numbered far too many. Children left with a mother's boyfriend, have proved very dangerous for too many small children.

I did recently read the book "Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard who was kidnapped at 11 and held captive for 18 years and gave birth to two children fathered by her kidnapper. I think aside from my past, I would have read this book. The story is fascinating in that she was found all these years later. But I think because of my abusive upbringing, I am drawn to books of this nature. I could give you a list a mile long of the ones I've read. And as bad as it may sound, but I think i read these books beccause in a way, i don't feel like such a freak. There are others out there who have had crappy things happen to them. And don't a lot of people want to know they aren't alone? Twisted I know.

Going to another open house tomorrow of the same house we already looked at. We're taking Jeff's parents because we appreciate their objective view. It is in a great area on a HUGE lot, double the square footage of our house, has a sizeable garage and kitchen. On the downside, it is a little dated. It would need, in my opinion, all new carpet. But the carpet is decent, just dated, wouldn't need to be changed immediately. But the neighborhood is terrific and it would be a good school for Avalon. So we'll see. Its the first house Jeff and I have agreed on for a long time.

Anywho, things are on the up swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment