Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Call Me Martha




Giant Sugar Cookies


I have been making cookies for 22 years. I'll wait while you do the math. Yes I made my first batch of cookies by myself when I was six years old. And when I say by myself, I literally did it by myself. My mom got down the measuring cups and spoons and baking soda but I literally did the rest myself, with the occasional trip down to the living room to make sure I was doing it right.
Now that I think about it, my mom must have thought I had more ability than most kids. Also, I would never let a child that young cook by themselves let alone put cookies in a hot oven. But I did and those chocolate chip cookies turned out perfectly round deliscious! I've been baking ever since.

Truth be told, these days, cookies are probably about the last thing on my list to get made. I've been making them so long. So it has to be a great recipe, or picture I see or something I'm craving in order to make them. I've perfected my chocolate chip cookie recipe(add pudding). I make snickerdoodles for Jeff as they're his favorite, and I like to try something new i'v never done before.

I have been searching for the perfectly soft an chewy sugar cookie for the past several years. I always though sugar cookies were for decorating. Then I had a kid. (Kids change everything don't they?) We discovered the most incredible soft deliscious frosted sugar cookies when ordering a kids meal for Avalon at Fuddruckers. These, seriously, were the best sugar cookies I ever had.
Even after buying them and bringing them home they would stay soft and chewy.

After many attempts at making the cookies, I could definitely get the frosting right but I could never get the cookies to be soft and chewy. Until today that is. I probably won't frost these cookies because they are so good all by them selves. I didn't even have to go looking for them. I am signed up for Martha Stewart's Cookie of the Day newsletter, which up until this point had been a total dud. But Martha has totally redeemed herself.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart, Everyday Food
(I simplify just about every recipe)


Heat oven to 350 degrees.
•2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
•1 teaspoon baking powder
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon baking soda
•8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
•1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
•1 large egg
•1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
•1/4 cup sour cream


Cream butter and sugar with eletric beaters over stand mixer for several minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and combine well. Then add sour cream and mix well. Add baking powder, soda, and slat and combine. Then add flour and mix well. I made these cookies large as the orginal recipe indicated but not as big as was suggested. Each cookie started out with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the edges turn brown but the tops are barely brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment