Friday, January 28, 2011

Heather Friendly Chili

In other words, this chili is very Jeff unfriendly. Jeff is quite a picky eater and has many foods on his "do not eat list." One of his biggest omissions is onions. I can get away with using dehydrated onions and onion powder but he stears clear from onions in the fresh variety even if they are cooked. I, on the other hand, LOVE onions! So when I saw this chili recipe in a Biggest Loser book I new it was right up my alley. So I made it on a week day, portioned it out into individual baggies so that I would have some healthy lunch options and froze it. Not only is it 150 calories per cup, but it is REALLY delicious.


I tried this chili the day I made it and thought it was awesome but I have sat on the recipe for a while deciding whether or not to blog about or not. But yesterday for lunch I defrosted a bag of it , put it over some small Yukon gold potatoes with cheese, sour cream and Franks Red Hot. It was so tasty(and healthy) that if you like chili, you have to make it! Unfortunately, its hard to photograph chili and make it look pretty. Looks aside, it truly is an awesome recipe made and spiced as is.

In additon to this, you'll need a package of ground turkey.(You can easily use ground beef but your calorie count will be off) You will also need 3 small onions(roughly 3 cups) and fresh garlic.


Start by heating a large pan with a few sprays of cooking spray and add the onions and cook over medium high heat until they are soft. Add your ground turkey and cook until no longer pink.


Then add a 15 oz can of black beans, 15 oz can of pinto beans and 28 oz of diced tomatoes and I cup of chicken broth. (Jeff also will not eat food with whole tomatoes in it whether they are cooked or not)



Then add your spices. From the top left: 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground mustard, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano.
I almost always season things to my own liking but I started out with the recipes measurements and found it to be very pleasing. Not the same as my typical chili recipe but more reminiscent of chili at Wendy's.
I typically hesitate to make low-fat, low-cal recipes as usually the substitutions just make things taste funky. I'd rather eat full calories recipes and eat less of them if need be. But since this turned our so well, I'll be making some of the other recipes I dog-eared in the "Biggest Loser: 30-Day Jump Start." I suggest you make it too!




1 comment: